Saturday, May 9, 2009

ASCE Rain Garden

For a guest blog appearance, this is Tim, Megan's husband.

My full-time job is a civil engineer, which might sound boring to you, but I think it can be pretty fun. I am especially interested in sustainable design and low impact development. So when I heard that my professional organization, ASCE, got a grant to install rain gardens at elementary schools in Indianapolis, I got pretty excited.

Several engineering firms in town volunteered their time and services to design and install a rain garden at Crooked Creek Elementary School. The purpose of the rain garden is to capture the rainwater that flows off of the parking lot at the school and to use wetland plants to remove many of the pollutants before the water leaves the site.

The coolest thing about the project is that the students are the ones that installed the 1300 plants. They took off their socks and shoes and walked directly in the mud left over from the previous nights' rain. The teachers hosed the giggling students off before returning to class. I'm sure that it is a moment they will always remember. Enjoy!


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

That's me on the left!
Buzz It

0 comments: